No child-friendly Thanksgiving is complete without a bit of discussion about how the holiday originated. Help your children get into the celebration-spirit by creating these fun and easy holiday headdresses:
- Construction paper in black, orange, yellow, brown, red, green, and other autumn colors
- Glue and/or Stapler
- Glitter Glue
- Crayons, markers, stickers, or other embellishments
- Using black construction paper, help your child cut out a thin rectangle for the brim of the hat and a square for the hat itself. Glue the pieces together.
- Cut a 2-3” wide rectangle from a sheet of orange construction paper and glue this over the seam of the black hat.
- To make a Pilgrim-esque buckle for the hat, cut a square from yellow construction paper, then “hollow” it out by cutting another square in the center of the paper. Glue this “buckle” onto the center of the orange paper.
- To make it sparkle, use clear glitter glue to decorate the hat, then allow the glue to dry. By dinner time, your child’s Pilgrim Headpiece will be ready to go.
- Use brown, yellow, orange or red construction paper to make a band that fits around your child’s forehead. Glue or staple the headband so that it lays comfortably around your child’s forehead.
- Encourage your child to decorate the headband with pictures, stickers, glitter, gemstones, etc.
- Use multiple colors of construction paper to cut five 6-7” tall feather-shapes. Glue or staple the feathers to the headband so that they extend straight upwards. Your kids may want to decorate the feathers as well, or simply wear as is.
Your little Pilgrims and Indians are ready to dine in style. Happy Thanksgiving!
By Signe Whitson, LSW. As a mom of two girls, an activist to better the lives of children today, a child therapist for over 10 years, blogger, and a co-author of “The Angry Smile: The Psychology of Passive Aggressive Behavior in Families, Schools and Workplaces“, she has many ideas and ways to help parents. Her creativity and ideas of celebrating as a family are shared with you by My Baby Clothes Boutique. The perfect place to find your holiday baby accessories this year.