So many things to tell them, they will understand one day. They are still very young, we still have the tween and teen years to brave. Please don’t be too hard on me.
People are different. Families are different. Experiences are different.
Here’s what I want my kids to know…
1. I always did my best, even when it’s hard, even when I’m unhappy. You and your dad have been my priority.
2. I work very hard to make sure I can give you the best I can. I teach you, take you as many places, show you things, and love you as much as I possibly can.
3. I will always be there for you. To support. To guide, To help. To discern right from wrong.
4. Nothing that happens is your fault. If anything happens to our family, none of it is because of you. People lose jobs, homes, family members, friends, and even marriages and lifestyles. If any of these things were to happen, please don’t blame yourself.
5. I love your father and the family we created. Even though we might argue, you all are all still the most important things to me. I know that we need to work harder to hash out our disagreements in a sensible manner, we’re getting there.
6. Live on, be strong, persevere. For so many reasons…
People will love you, and some will hate you.
You will succeed and fail.
You will forget that important project, lose that special friend, and get in trouble for that dumb thing you did at school.
You’ll also excel in something, keep long life friends, and win a award or championship.
You will soon learn that the boyfriend you had in high school is crap compared to the one you meet in college. And girls come a dime a dozen, so you’ll weed them out until you’ve found the right one.
You’ll get the job or promotion you’ve worked so hard for, and you might even lose something similar.
7. Put yourself first. That’s it. No other person. Help out your family the best you can, but you are your ultimate priority.
8. Respect yourself, and demand the same from others. People will treat you the way you let them. Showing others that you are strong, confident, and can gain attention in positive ways. Your body is your personal temple, sacred to you. Your mind is yours too, don’t let anyone get into it. Take care of yourself, love yourself and exercise control… others will follow suit.
9. Life is what you make it. Try new things. Learn as much as you can. There will be ups and downs, so don’t sweat the small stuff. Don’t beat yourself up about anything, we all go through these things. Try different sport, travel to different places, and even take up a new hobby. Learn to cook, balance a budget, sew, clean, make a living, personal and safety needs, and everything you can in school so you’ll never have to depend on someone else. You will find your path.
10. You are special. You are unique and there’s nobody like you. Be happy in the skin you’re in, and don’t look to others to make you feel fulfilled. Do not be a follower, trust yourself and your judgement to make sound decisions. I love you to pieces and you could never be replaced. Always remember these things.