We took an early trip to Sea World a couple of weeks ago, it’s an understatement to say that we had a blast! As San Diego locals, we are pretty lucky to be so close to such an awesome theme park. There are so many fun things to do, see and learn about the ocean and the life that exists within. Are you looking for family vacation ideas in San Diego? Sea World is definitely on my “to do with kids in San Diego” list!
Here are 10 reasons why you
should MUST take a family trip to San Diego and visit Sea World…
1. The Blue Horizons Dolphin Show – This was our favorite show! It was about 20 minutes long, my fidgety 2 year old and 5 year old were in awe, sitting still through the whole show. Words cannot describe how well put together this show is. We loved it! Dolphins fly, birds dive and spirits leap in Blue Horizons® — a visionary sea-and-sky spectacular from SeaWorld. Soaring birds, playful dolphins and thrilling aerialists fuse the vibrant energy of two fascinating worlds into a mesmerizing display of dance, flight, color and entertainment. Tip: Trust the soak zone signs on the lower half of the seating area. If you sit in the soak zone, take it for what it’s worth!
2. Kids Paradise: Sesame Street Bay of Play – Caution: Your children might spend half of the day here! The amount of fun my kids had here was insane. Picture a giant playground with water play, a giant climbing structure, bounce houses, live Sesame Street character performances, 3 kiddie rides, arcade games, carnival style games and more! This was a highlight for the kids, for sure.
Here’s us on Abby’s Sea Star Spin, it’s sorta like the tea cups at Disneyland…
Air Bounce is a GIANT jumper. I mean HUGE. There’s one for older kids and another set aside strictly for toddlers and under.
3. Pet, feed and interact with the dolphins – Dolphin Point is an up close, interactive spot where guests of Sea World can connect with the dolphins up close. Feed them, and reach in to pet them if they come close enough. Trainers are close by, at certain times during the day, they’ll give information, demonstrate signals and more. Warning: We were splashed by a diving dolphin, it got very close and we were soaked!
4. Turtle Reef and Shark Encounter exhibits – Both of these are awesome, our two favorite exhibits. It’s just amazing to be able to see these huge sea turtles and sharks so close! You’ll see the sharks above the water first, then you will go down below and feel like your under water with them.
This guy was the biggest shark in the tank…
5. Sweeping San Diego views in the SkyTower – If you’ve ever driven around the Mission Bay area, chances are that you have seen the infamous, huge SkyTower. It looks like a tall blue pole from afar, but it’s a vast circular ride that slowly takes you up, up, up, giving you aerial views of Sea World and San Diego’s Mission Bay area. It’s stunning!
6. Feed the seals and sea lions – You can toss small fish right into the mouths of these hungry guys! At one point, the sea lions were barking at us, begging for food. It’s cool to watch them interact with each other, swimming, diving, and sliding around on the land areas.
7. Your family will love to pet the bat rays – This exhibit has this large, shallow pool is full of bay rays of all sizes! Don’t worry, they are nice and can’t sting you. When one comes near, reach in and feel their slimy, yet firm skin! Once you’ve finished, older children and adults can get their thrills and… (see number 8)
8. Be daring, ride the thrilling roller coasters – The Manta (added to the bat ray exhibit) and Journey To Atlantis are coaster style rides that are action packed! There is also Shipwreck Rapids, a tube style raft water ride, and a couple more wild rides. Hold on tight!
9. Play free all year with the 2013 Fun Card – That’s right! When you pay for 1 day, you’ll get a Sea World Fun Card that is valid for free admission to the park all year long! This option is perfect for locals like us, we’ll be visiting Sea World quite often!
…and certainly last but not least…
10. The Shamu Show – No visit to Sea World is complete without watching the infamous Shamu show! The current show is called One Ocean, created to celebrate life under the sea and show how we are all one. Majestic killer whales join you on a journey into a world that drenches your senses in the vivid colors, vitality and global rhythms of the ocean. Dancing fountains set the stage as you connect with thrilling sea creatures and realize we are all part of one world, one ocean. Your soul is ignited as our worlds are united… and you realize that we all have the power to make a difference in this planet we share.
There are so many more awesome experiences to be had. The polar bears and beluga whales in the Wild Arctic were amazing, as were the Sea Lions LIVE! and Pets Rule shows. This summer, a new show, Madagascar LIVE, Operation: Vacation will be in full effect, combining live music, dancing, and your Madagascar favorites!
For more information, visit Sea World online:
Disclosure: I received no compensation for this post, All photos are mine, unless otherwise noted.