We’re talking all things Marvel this week about the latest release from the franchise: ANT-MAN! During the ANT-MAN family series, we’ll be sharing some awesome interviews, set visits, behind the scenes, and information about the movie each day. Find out if you should take your family to go see it, in theaters July 17th!
ANT-MAN Family Series, Part 5: All About the costumes and props in the movie
This is the final installment of this weeks ANT-MAN family series, I hope you’re all enjoying what I have been sharing! I was very fortunate to be able to go on the set of the movie and experience this, pretty neat! While I was there, we got to walk through the costume and props department and hear from costume designers Sammy Sheldon and Ivo Coveney.
This was the absolute best part, and a long shot: I mentioned that I wanted to put on the ANT-MAN helmet and Ivo and Sammy said, “You want to put one on?” Uh, YES! Ivo actually took the time to help each one of us – yes – 14 people, try on the ANT-MAN helmet. Isn’t that awesome? Who can say that they put on the actual ANT-MAN helmet from the movie?
10 Facts about The Costumes and Props in the ANT-MAN Movie
1. There are multiple different sets that are used throughout the movie, some in Atlanta, some in San Francisco, some indoors, some outdoors. They each had to be built in detail, some for human-sized scenes, and others were shrunk down to ant size.
2. Everything that Paul Rudd wears as ANT-MAN is custom made, starting from a concept drawing. 3D images are generated by computer and samples are made before they actually start on the real suit and helmet. Molds are made for each part of each piece of the costume, quite the long process.
3. The first concepts of the ANT-MAN suit were that the red parts would have something electrical in them. The team looked around for fiber optic fabrics and LED lights, and decided against it because it would limit the fit and design of the suit.
4. Sheldon says that she actually began to look into the patterns of the eye of insects and used the designs in their eyes to get the look they wanted, and created it into an in depth fabric.
5. For ANT-MAN, there are 13 suits and 17 helmets, and 8 pairs of gloves that all look the same, but they’re technically different for use in different types of scenes. Also, the costume designers started with 8 different belts for the ANT-MAN costume, but ended up having to make more. The final total was 17!
6. It takes a team of people to get Paul Rudd in and out of his ANT-MAN suit and helmet. It’s like putting on armor, piece by piece.
7. When we tried on the helmet, it took a few minutes each to carefully place it over our heads, turn each screw, snap the jaw piece in place, and adjust. Then, the reverse to take it off. It was a little heavy, and I could see it getting claustrophobic after wearing it for a while.
8. There are over 50 pieces that make up the “hero belt”, or the main belt worn by ANT-MAN. There are also stunt belts that are just one piece, making it easier for them to be used in action.
9. From the concept of the costume to the final design, it took 7 months of work! They continued to work, tweak costume parts and build new ones as the movie progressed.
10. Paul has specially custom fitted suits for himself, one is his “hero suit”, then he has a harness suit, which fits well when he’s attached to a harness, a stunt suit for action scenes, and others.
I am always thrilled when I get to go behind the scenes and see all of the detailed work that goes into each aspect of the movie. I am so thankful to the entire Disney and Marvel teams for making this set visit possible! I hope you learned a lot about the movie and will consider taking your family, I am definitely going to head to the theater on July 17th with my kids!
It’s a Date! Marvel’s ANT-MAN is out in theaters July 17!
The next evolution of the Marvel Cinematic Universe brings a founding member of The Avengers to the big screen for the first time with Marvel Studios’ “Ant-Man.” Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, master thief Scott Lang must embrace his inner-hero and help his mentor, Doctor Hank Pym, protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.
Read the rest of the ANT-MAN family series…
Disclosure: Travel and experiences for were provided by Disney, I was not compensated for press coverage.