Our oven-baked mozzarella cheese sticks recipe is an easy appetizer to make for your next event. This homemade cheese sticks recipe uses string cheese and panko bread crumbs for a delicious, and crispy baked treat!
Homemade baked cheese sticks
I’m always on the lookout for great food for my kids, they seem to get pickier by the minute and I need them to eat nutritious snacks and lunches that they actually like. I tend to stay away from fried and over-processed foods, so making these homemade cheese sticks in my own kitchen is just what the doctor ordered!
These tasty cheese snacks are easy to make
These oven-baked mozzarella cheese sticks have been a huge hit here at my house! Made with Crystal Farms® Wisconsin String Cheese, these bites are packed with calcium and protein, making them great finger foods for kids! I pop these in my kids’ lunch boxes and serve them as a snack, I don’t mind because they are freshly made and not fried like most mozzarella sticks.
Easy mozzarella sticks with string cheese
Try making these warm and gooey, yet crispy oven-baked mozzarella sticks at home. You know exactly what’s in them, making them the perfect tasty snack for kids! These cheese sticks have no egg and are coated with crispy panko bread crumbs for a delicious snack. You can also set these out for game day parties and they’re sure to be a hit!
Oven-Baked Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
makes 48 pieces
- Crystal Farms® Wisconsin String Cheese
- Olive oil
- Panko bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Parsley, chopped fine
- Chili powder
- Marinara sauce for dipping
Cut the string cheese in half and freeze it
Start by unwrapping each piece of string cheese, you can have the kids help with this. Cut all 24 sticks in half to make 48. Place them on a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes or until solid.
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Set up 3 separate bowls, one for the flour, one for the olive oil, and the last is for the remaining dry ingredients: panko bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt, pepper, parsley, and chili powder.
Bread and bake the mozzarella sticks
When the cheese sticks are frozen, remove and coat each piece with flour, then roll in the olive oil, then roll in the bread crumbs. For an extra crispy exterior, put it back in the olive oil, then back in the bread crumbs again. Set each cheese stick on a greased baking sheet and freeze once more for about 15 minutes or until solid.
We’re freezing the cheese a couple of times to be sure it doesn’t completely melt during the baking process. Bake cheese sticks for 5-6 minutes, or until crispy. Don’t leave them in the oven too much longer than that, the cheese will ooze out and ruin your sticks! The final product came out so good…
Oven-Baked Mozzarella Cheese Sticks Recipe
- 1 24-count package Crystal Farms® Wisconsin String Cheese
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. garlic salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley chopped fine
- a dash of chili powder
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Unwrap each piece of string cheese and cut all 24 sticks in half to make 48 smaller cheese sticks. Spread them out on a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes or until solid.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Set up 3 separate bowls, one for the flour, one for the olive oil, and the last is for the remaining dry ingredients: panko bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt, pepper, parsley, and chili powder.
- When the cheese sticks are frozen, remove them from the freezer and coat each piece with flour, then roll in the olive oil, then roll in the bread crumbs. For an extra crispy exterior, put mozzarella sticks back in the olive oil, then back in the bread crumbs again. Set each cheese stick on a greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet and freeze them all once more for about 15 minutes or until solid.
- Bake cheese sticks for 5-6 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from oven immediately and allow cheese sticks to cool for a few minutes. Arrange on a platter and serve with marinara dipping sauce.
More about Crystal Farms® String Cheese
Crystal Farms® is one of the largest cheese brands in the country, providing quality products from good ol’ Wisconsin since 1926. I really like their string cheese, natural and full of nutrition, and my kids like to eat it! That’s a win-win in my book. If you’re looking for finger foods for kids or a great appetizer recipe for game day, try it. You’ll LOVE it!
Make lunch and snack time fun again with Crystal Farms® Wisconsin String Cheese! Learn more about Crystal Farms and follow along with Crystal Farms on Facebook and Crystal Farms on Pinterest for more recipes and fun ideas!
This post was sponsored by Crystal Farms®.