Start off summer the healthy way with this delicious California grilled chicken avocado salad! Enjoy the flavors of creamy avocado, cilantro, and lime on this refreshing summer salad recipe.
California chicken avocado salad
Who’s ready for some grilling this summer?! I absolutely love spending time by the pool with family, grilling all day, and eating all night! I love me some s’mores, but know I need to keep my summer body intact, so I will not stop working out or eating healthy. Whether you’re trying to eat healthier at home or headed to a cookout, this tasty grilled chicken avocado salad is the perfect dish to bring!
We love this salad, it is so easy to put together and it takes only 15 minutes or so until it’s finished! If you love the flavors of cilantro and lime along with creamy avocado and fresh grilled chicken, this California chicken salad is a must-try!
California grilled chicken avocado salad recipe
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Mixed greens
- Chicken breast
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Ranch dressing (or your favorite dressing!)
- salt, pepper
Step 1: Season and grill your chicken breast
First, wash your greens and dry them thoroughly. Warm up the grill on high heat, then lower to medium. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place chicken on the grill for 5-6 minutes on each side. Chicken will be finished when juices run clear. Here are some more tips on grilling the perfect chicken breast.
I didn’t have access to a grill, so I used my cast iron skillet to get those grill marks on the chicken. Make sure you grease the skillet with olive oil before adding the chicken!
Step 2: Prep other salad ingredients
While the chicken is cooking, prep the other ingredients. Dice your avocado, halve the cherry tomatoes, chop the cilantro, and slice the onion and lime wedges. Add greens to a large bowl and top with chopped cilantro and red onion. Evenly pour ranch dressing over the greens, then top with avocado and tomatoes.
Step 3: Put the grilled chicken avocado salad all together
When the chicken is finished, let it sit in the pan for a few minutes. Slice chicken breasts and add to the top of the salad. Squeeze a couple of slices of lime over the salad and throw the rest of the limes into the bowl. You’re ready to serve the most delicious flavors of California. You can add more veggies to suit your tastes. I think black beans and corn would be delicious additions!
California Grilled Chicken Avocado Salad Recipe
- 1 5 oz. package mixed greens
- 2 fresh chicken breasts
- 1 ripe avocado cubed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 1/8 cup ranch dressing
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Pre-heat grill on high, then lower to medium. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place chicken on the grill for 5-6 minutes on each side. Chicken will be finished when juices run clear. Allow chicken to cool slightly.
- Prep other ingredients: dice the avocado, cut the cherry tomatoes, chop the cilantro, and slice the onion and lime wedges.
- Add mixed greens to a large bowl, then top with chopped cilantro and red onion. Evenly drizzle ranch dressing over the greens, then top with avocado and tomatoes.
- Slice chicken breasts and add to the top of the salad. Squeeze a couple of slices of lime over the salad and add the remaining limes to the salad bowl.
Enjoy this California chicken salad!
While you’re grilling this summer, I hope you throw some chicken breast on the grill and spice it up, California style. The flavors of lime and cilantro give this salad a tasty kick that I know you’ll love.
If you like this salad, also try this Elote Avocado Corn Dip, it tastes just like Mexican street corn. Also, this watermelon salad recipe with feta and arugula is a great summer salad to try. Have a great summer!