We tried this baked garlic chicken thighs recipe with leeks for dinner, and… WOW. You all have to try this easy chicken dinner recipe with mashed potatoes and leeks at home!
A chicken thighs recipe to love
Last week… oh last week. It was pure bliss. Christmas time always means love, the celebration of life, and tons of time with family and friends. Y’all know what else comes with all of this? FOOD.
Delicious baked chicken and mashed potatoes
Well, extra time with loved ones means more time in the kitchen. I saw a recipe for 40-clove garlic chicken and I thought HOLY WOW, I have to try something like this!
After making a few adjustments to the recipe that would work for my family, making this baked garlic chicken thighs recipe and mashed potato dinner a little less garlic- heavy and full of flavor. I used canned kale in the potatoes and canned chicken broth instead of milk or cream, and everything turned out amazing!
Baked garlic chicken thighs recipe with leeks & kale mashed potatoes
These baked garlic chicken thighs are so juicy, a great source of protein, and they’re pretty easy to make. If you are in need of chicken thigh recipes for dinner, the kale mashed potatoes, and garlic cloves complete this meal and set the flavors off right!
Ingredients for the chicken thigh and mashed potato dinner:
- Chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Fresh leeks
- Chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
Ingredients for the mashed potatoes with kale:
How to make chicken thighs in the oven
To begin, start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees. Wash, pat to dry (paper towels work for this), and season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. These are bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and place chicken into the pan, skin side down. Cook each for 5-7 minutes, or until the skin is browned.
Then, while the chicken is browning, cut each garlic clove in half long ways, to make 20 pieces of garlic. Combine these ingredients in a small bowl with 1/2 cup chicken broth and leeks.
Arrange chicken in a casserole dish and bake
Next, when the chicken skin is brown, place chicken pieces skin side up into a casserole dish (this Le Creuset casserole dish is my absolute favorite!). DO NOT DISCARD THE OIL, rather, turn the stove heat off and add the garlic and leek mixture to the pan.
Stir to coat, scraping the edges of the pan to get all of the chickeny goodness, and pour the mixture evenly over the chicken thighs. Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until juices run clear.
Making the kale mashed potatoes
Next, make your mashed potatoes how you normally would, boil the potatoes, mash, and add butter, kale greens, chicken broth, salt, and pepper to taste. I really love how this baked garlic chicken thighs recipe turned out, I couldn’t wait for it to cool so I could make my plate!
When the chicken is finished baking, place a scoop of mashed potatoes on each plate and top it with a chicken thigh. Garnish with leek and garlic pieces and the juice from the baking dish.
Oven Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe with Mashed Potatoes
- 1 9x13" casserole dish
Ingredients for the chicken dish
- 10 chicken thighs trimmed of fat
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup leeks diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 stick butter
- salt and pepper
Kale mashed potatoes ingredients
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 - 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can kale greens drained
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees F. Wash, pat dry, and season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium and place chicken into the pan, skin side down. Cook each for 7-8 minutes, or until the skin is brown.
- Cut garlic cloves in half long ways to make 20 pieces of garlic. Combine in a bowl with 1/2 cup chicken broth and chopped leeks.
- When the chicken is finished, place chicken pieces skin side up into a casserole dish. With the oil remaining in the skillet, turn the stove heat off and add the garlic and leek mixture to the pan. Stir to coat, scraping the edges of the pan.
- Pour the garlic and leek mixture evenly over the chicken thighs. Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- When the chicken is finished baking, place a scoop of mashed potatoes on each plate and top it with a chicken thigh. Garnish with leek and garlic pieces and the juice from the baking dish.
Enjoy these baked garlic chicken thighs and potatoes
It’s super easy to cook with canned foods, saves time, and still possesses the flavor and nutrition you’re looking for when you eat vegetables. With less prep, I’ve got more time in the evenings to put a healthy, homemade meal on the table!
More chicken dinner recipes to try…
Disclosure: I am participating in the Canbassador Program with Cans Get You Cooking. I am being compensated for my time, however, all opinions are my own.