Our easy apple berry crisp recipe uses fresh apples and mixed berries for a delicious fall dessert recipe. If you’re looking for quick fall ideas, this apple and berry dessert recipe is the perfect sweet treat!
An apple berry dessert to love
Who is ready for some fall baking? We always are! We were excited to grab lots of apples since they are now in season and, of course, we had to make something sweet with them. This apple berry crisp with oats is such a warm, fruity recipe to try.
We got the idea to make this berry and apple dessert from thinking of dutch apple pie. We don’t have any pie crust readily available (gluten-free struggles) so we thought that making more of a cobbler-style dessert would work out. Adding mixed berries and a crumble topping is truly the icing on the cake – I mean, the crumble top on the crisp!
Easy apple berry crisp recipe
This dessert is almost like an apple berry pie but without the pie crust. It’s all filling with a little bit of oat topping to achieve the crispy, crumbly texture that we love!
The ingredients in this recipe are pretty simple. You probably have most of them already in your pantry and should only have to pick up a few things. If you are into fall desserts with apples, you can also make these apple cinnamon oatmeal bars. Try our apple and berry crisp dessert recipe below.
- Mixed berries
- Oats (I use gluten-free)
- Flour (also gluten-free 1:1 blend)
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla ice cream (optional, but not really)
Other equipment needed:
- Baking pan – this can be any 8″ or 9″ dish
- Medium mixing bowl
Start by making the apple berry filling
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a baking dish, combine sliced apples, mixed berries, sugar, and cinnamon, and mix well. You can use an 8 or 9-inch baking pan, a 9” pie dish, or even a skillet, as long as it is oven-safe. We used a standard 9″ pie dish, it is the perfect size to hold this recipe.
Note: I went ahead and cut the larger strawberries and other big fruit pieces in half. If you end up with lots of large pieces of fruit in your frozen berry bag, you should do the same before mixing.
Prep the apple crisp oat topping
In a medium mixing bowl, make the apple crisp topping. Add the oats, flour, and brown sugar and stir to combine. When the dry mixture is well mixed, pour in the melted butter and stir just until the mixture is nice and crumbly. Do not over stir, this can cause the mixture to get pasty and you will not get the crispy topping you deserve.
Evenly pour the crumble top mixture over the top of the apples and berries, making sure it covers the top of the whole dessert. Spread the oat topping around to cover any apples or berries that are exposed. Bake this easy apple berry crisp dessert for 30-40 minutes, or until the apples are bubbling and the top is nice, brownish, and crispy.
Serve this dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
Remove the dessert from the oven and allow a few minutes for the apple berry dessert to cool. Scoop the dessert into bowls and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top. The ingredients list above says that vanilla ice cream is optional, but I mean, is it really? We don’t think so!
Easy Apple Berry Crisp Recipe
- Baking pan
- Mixing bowl
For the apple berry filling
- 2 cups apples peeled and sliced thin
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the apple oat crisp topping
- 3/4 cups oats I used gluten-free quick oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour I use gluten-free 1:1 flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a baking dish, combine sliced apples, mixed berries, sugar, and cinnamon, and mix well. Cut larger pieces of fruit in half.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the oats, flour, and brown sugar and stir to combine. When the dry ingredients are well mixed, pour in the melted butter and stir just until the mixture is nice and crumbly.
- Spread crumble top mixture evenly over the top of the apples and berries, covering the top of the dessert. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the apples are bubbling and the top browned and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and allow a few minutes for the apple berry dessert to cool. Scoop into bowls and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Enjoy this berry and apple dessert
This is such a great dessert for when you want to have a little taste of fruit pie without dealing with crust prep. If you tried this easy apple crisp with oats and you love it, please share it with friends and family! Have a lovely fall season.
More fall dessert recipes to love
- 25 Easy Pumpkin Desserts & Sweet Pumpkin Recipes To Try
- Pumpkin Caramel Cheesecake Bites Recipe
- 20 Best Apple Dessert Recipes to Try This Fall
- Candy Corn Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
- Pumpkin Chiffon Pie Recipe
Subscribe: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | YouTube
Leave a Comment